Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Voter #45

November 4th 2008

My moment came standing in line at 7:39.

Some stand silent, some smile trying to wake up & stay warm.

Mind you, there are at least 200 people in said line and the woman I saw leaving with her lawn chair said she arrived at 6:15.

I look down to see dew on shoes and grass on grey suede from the quick trip I took across the lawn.

A good friend taught me to take a look at my feet whenever I think I'll want to see that moment in my mind on repeat, so I just did.

I parked a little ways away and my brother arrived earlier in the day so I sought him out and passed the port.

I love to see people of different hues share their political point of view and this morning with me and my cold extremities.

I heard only 10% of Detroit voted last time around – today the record's being broken because of a guy named Barack.

I feel like I'm making history while standing in the footsteps of ancestors before me and that's why I chose not to vote absentee.

And here comes the sun....

I knew it was a win when I felt the 70° day the weatherman forecasted.

It was a beautiful day and an electric night.

The energy erupted shortly after 11 o’clock.

Shades of smiles sit in front of TVs, party in a park in the Windy City and shout through the streets of Motown like our favorite team just won the championship.

We chose change & now we’re ready to work for it.

From "44th: The Commemorative Edition"

Poems, art, photographs and thirty-two front page reprints from

African American newspapers celebrate the historic 2008 Presidential Election.

Please visit www.44th.net to order your copy or to peruse the book virtually.

No comments: